My Book - Angels of the Quantum Gate - by William David Hannah


Available in print and electronic versions at Amazon and Kindle. And now available as an audiobook at Audible and Amazon!

“Angels of the Quantum Gate” is science fiction with a twist. It is certainly science fiction with fantasy elements, but it is encapsulated in a wry, satirical first person narrative that is very convincing. It involves a simple man who is swept into galactic encounters, universal truths, and purposes that are beyond understanding. The sardonic evolves into the spiritual in a work that, somewhere, may require belief. – W.D. Hannah


Angels of the Quantum Gate, Excerpts and Information    

It came as darkness in the sun’s bright light. There was no warning, no sound, no flashing lights. Nobody else was home when it arrived. My wife, Sue, had gone to the nearby town, and Rob, from down and across our shared dirt road, was using my truck. And so, I was alone. The great shadowy mystery had come to visit only me.  I cursed Jim Drake for being right. Yes, he predicted this. Yes, he frequently told me of his extensive documentation, his history of sightings, the activities of what he, with twisted humor, called the Un- Alien-Able Rights Society. I hurried home to call him...or to call someone.

     “Colonel Drake?” I questioned.
     “Retired. Air Force. You thought I was just an old coot with crazy ideas didn’t you?”
     “Well, I saw all that stuff you had. But you never really had any evidence...”
     “No evidence? I’m evidence. You’re evidence. This is self-evidence, Don. You’re all you’ve got. That’s your, may I say it, un-ALIEN-able right.” The annoying smile returned.
     “Right now I’m in no mood for your jokes. I’m in a freakin’ hole under my cornfield. I’ve been passed out, maybe in a hospital. And last time I saw Sue, all she wanted to do was sew...and sew....”
      “Sewing Sue, huh? Good thing we got her. She would have starved. Literally. But she’s OK now.”
      “What do you mean, 'got her'? She’s OK? Where?

     "The glass is alive? Huh? What are you telling me?”
     “It’s a living organism...or rather collections of many organisms...like jellyfish. Hard jellyfish...with a consciousness.They can be persuaded to assume certain shapes, to be useful for building purposes. They can also make notepads stick to themselves, if they want to, or, if they prefer, extract the lifeforce from fingertips to feed the hunter they enclose.”
     “Oh, my. Oh my.” Sometimes I did not like for things to make sense. Ignorance wasn’t bliss, but it was more comfortable.
Drake’s voice departed, and I was left with the stars...and my own thoughts. The stars were surely more comforting.
I had always found stars comforting. Such a response belies the scientific truth of what they are. Immense explosions of hydrogen fusions lasting for billions of years. They look so comforting in the sky. The billions and billions of them, seemingly forming clouds across unimaginable distances. All that in my little pixel.
Once I found a natural rock in the shape of a five-pointed star. It was half- buried in sand upon a beach. I took a picture of it and captioned it “Rock Star”. The stars we could reach were the starfish on a beach. That was in a song. I think the song was about dying, but it was a pretty song, and it was always comforting to me.
And now, I needed the stars. Not the explosive ones that hurled out tongues of gas and, along with gravity, hammered out the planets. I needed the comforting ones that twinkled like a childhood song, that spun about my head, my head alone as I watched them. I was the “one who knows” after all. I was...consciousness.


Notes:
    The story-teller, Don Henson, is a middle-aged man with a slight southern accent, not very noticeable or distractingly so. He is a farmer, but his adventures will make him more aware and contemplative over time.

     The Drake character is matter-of-fact even when speaking of some far-out things. He is retired Air Force. At other times in the book, his voice will sound monotone, even robotic, and then at other times he will become a combination of those personalities.

    There will be other characters, a rocket scientist, the story-tellers wife, a police officer, a detective, some professors, etc.

Reviews:
5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and Funny, October 16, 2013
By m raymer (Eugene, OR United States) – See all my reviews
Verified Purchase(What’s this?)
This review is from: Angels of the Quantum Gate (Kindle Edition)
I highly recommend this book. It is an excellent read and thoroughly entertaining for those who like a little sci fi and find the topic of UFOs and alien contact fascinating. The story line is dead serious, although fantastic, and told in a humorous way. The autobiographical presentation is believable, making me wonder at times if the author really believes he experienced what he told in the book: A simple man gets caught up in a plot with seeming Universal (or should I say Galactic?) consequences. As with real religion, the mystery underlying the events can never really be comprehended, and the author is wise not to try to pontificate on its meaning. The ah-ha moment for me came 72% into the book, when the protagonist is told by mysterious entities, “For in every pixel, every scene, every root and every branch and on and on forever, there must be one who knows. If not for that, there is nothing.” I take it that the pixel is our entire universe in which Earth exists. The question a reader (and the protagonist) asks is, “So I’m the one in this pixel? I don’t know what I know that makes such an important difference.” My interpretation is that simply knowing about the other universes is sufficient to make the difference. The (fantasy) explanation for this could be that in order for a universe to exist, there must be a conscious link between it and all other universes. There has to be ‘quantum entanglement’ between universes. This kind of metaphysical treatment of the UFO phenomenon reminds me of one the greatest novels ever written about this subject: A Maggot, by John Fowles, also author of The French Lieutenant’s Woman.


Stuart Antrim’s Review of “Angels of the Quantum Gate”
“As we learn in Angels of the Quantum Gate, in an infinite multiverse, somewhere out there are universes in which everyone has written a novel, and ones where nobody did, and everything in between. Worlds without end, amen. Consider the nature of infinity for a moment, that is, unless you are prone to migraines:
If “all that is” is indeed infinite, then somewhere, strictly by chance, there exists a planet identical to Earth in every way, down to the most insignificant quark. Precise copies of everything and every thing, animal vegetable and mineral, exist in perfect sync with the world we know. Not only that, there must be an infinite number of such mirror worlds. Let that sink in for a moment.
Now add to those the infinite number of universes that deviate from our own in the most minor detail. Perhaps you had bacon instead of sausage for breakfast. Then add to those the infinite number of worlds that deviate substantially from ours. For example, there are an infinite number of worlds in which the human race is held captive by advanced entities and bred for food and entertainment. And there are an infinite number of universes that look like anything you can imagine. OK, let’s stop now before we have to go running for the medicine cabinet, but these are the sorts of mind-expanding concepts explored in Angels.
When I was a young reader some aunt or uncle once gave me a book as a gift. It was unlike the books that already occupied my meager library, by folks such as Mark Twain and Robert Louis Stevenson. This book was something brand new to me, full of adventurous tales of space travellers, futuristic vehicles, extraterrestrials, and heretofore unimagined dangers. It was my introduction to the science fiction genre, and I treasured it. While reading Angels of the Quantum Gate I thought about that book for the first time in many years.
Angels introduces the calm, quiet character Don Henson who tends his calm, quiet cornfield, but is soon plunged unceremoniously into the first drop of a wild steel roller coaster of an adventure. When the cornfield is thronged by other-wordly visitors, suddenly words like “calm” or “quiet” no longer describe Mr. Henson or his property. He is naturally eager to know what the heck is happening, and spends most of the book disoriented, confused, and frustrated by the absence of answers. Who are the visitors and why are they here? It’s complicated…and they’re not necessarily the ones Henson needs to be worried about anyway. Visitors come in more than one flavor, you see. Who are the guys, the human guys, who know more than they’re willing to share? It’s complicated…but they frequently need Don’s help for one reason or another. In a ship that takes him to the edge of the sun’s influence, Don Henson is forced to witness the never-ending possibilities that exist within forever. Or probabilities. I’m not sure what the distinction is, or even if there is one. It’s a pretty heavy trip for a corn farmer, to be sure, but remarkably he seems to take it all in stride. Answers are elusive at best, but as Henson discovers, answers can be realized, for there is always one who knows.
The author playfully flirts with a curious literary device, the book about a book, but does not invest too heavily in this. The pace of the story-telling is somewhat inconsistent. While most scenes are well described in particular detail, long stretches of time sometimes pass in the span of a few lines. I don’t know if this is intentional, but the effect is to emphasize the main character’s unsettled, bewildered thoughts, the thoughts of a man who isn’t quite confident of what is real. Angels of the Quantum Gate is quite appropriate for all ages, although some scenes of the probabilities/possibilities that can/will/do exist in the multiverse might be a bit…disquieting. That being said, any child who has ever played a video game or watched a modern cartoon has certainly been exposed to much more disturbing content.
If you enjoy stories about these guys:
And these guys:
Then by all means give this one a look-see.”
©2014 Stuart Antrim Used with permission.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and intriguing read! October 10, 2013
By C. L. Mathew
Format:Paperback
I know the author, and this is his first work. Angels of the Quantum Gate is a science fiction work about visits from aliens. It’s a combination of mystery, philosophy, and humor. I’ve always enjoyed William’s shorter writing, and am thrilled to have a chance to read a longer piece. I am amazed at how he held my attention through the whole book, with me always wondering what was coming next and how things would resolve themselves. I highly suggest the book to science fiction fans who want to support a new and self-published author! You won’t be disappointed! Book is available in hard copy or kindle editions.
5.0 out of 5 stars Not my usual, but going to look for more, October 10, 2013
By Amazon Customer “braillerjenn” (Marshalltown, IA) – See all my reviews
Verified Purchase(What’s this?)
This review is from: Angels of the Quantum Gate (Kindle Edition)
I’m not usually a sci-fi, alien, fantasy fan. I downloaded this book to help a friend.
BUT after reading this book I’m going to go look for more of his books.
Step out of the norm and have some fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary Genius!!! October 22, 2013
By Douglas Cook Format:Paperback 
I usually read Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, Lee Child type books, but jumped into this sci-fi fiction, and I have to say that this book is amazing. Even though this is his first book, the author masterfully draws the reader in. This is the type of book that teachers of advanced readers could have their students read, and the discussions would be endless. There are so many thoughts expressed in such a clever way, and the dialogue was fabulous, which is usually not the case in first book offerings. An earlier review mentioned that this would make a great movie, and I could not agree more. Deep and thought provoking, yet light and humorous. I could not put it down. Great book!
5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it! October 12, 2013
By Alexandra winterhawk
Format:Paperback
Surprising, intriguing,funny, inspiring! A wonderful twist at the end! Don’t miss this one. It would make a great movie too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for Home, October 21, 2013
By Ashantay – See all my reviews
Verified Purchase(What’s this?)
This review is from: Angels of the Quantum Gate (Kindle Edition)
Angels of the Quantum Gate is an engaging read that poses thoughtful questions about life and who we are as individuals and society. The author has a clear, almost wry voice at times. This book is intriguing and a quick read.
5.0 out of 5 stars *****FANTASTIC*****, October 15, 2013
By RAY – See all my reviews
Verified Purchase(What’s this?)
This review is from: Angels of the Quantum Gate (Kindle Edition)
ok, I have been reading a pretty good action novel and put it down in the last 100 pages to continue reading your story. did this truly happen to you?? it is so good I am convinced, if you say yes. if it is absolute total fiction, WOW the power of fabrication you possess.

Comments

Popular Posts